Sunday, May 8, 2011

to be low is to be high

Let me start of by saying I NEVER thought I would have a blog. NEVER EVER. All three of my sisters have one, but I have never felt the urge to write my thoughts and feelings for people to read- until now I guess. :) This blogs primary purpose will be for me to record my thoughts and experiences while serving in Honduras during the month of June; however, right now it is just going to serve as a place to share what all the Lord has done in my life the past semester.


Verse 1
When You lead me to the valley of vision
I can see You in the heights
And though my humbling wouldn’t be my decision
It’s here Your glory shines so bright
So let me learn that the cross precedes the crown
To be low is to be high
That the valley’s where You make me more like Christ


Chorus
Let me find Your grace in the valley
Let me find Your life in my death
Let me find Your joy in my sorrow
Your wealth in my need
That You’re near with every breath
In the valley


Verse 2
In the daytime there are stars in the heavens
But they only shine at night
And the deeper that I go into darkness
The more I see their radiant light
So let me learn that my losses are my gain
To be broken is to heal
That the valley’s where Your power is revealed


This is a song I am pretty sure most people have heard. It is In the Valley by Sovereign Grace. It is a song that has never meant more to me than it does now. You see the Lord has humbled and shown me my sin more this past month, than my entire 20 years. My prayer this entire year is that the Lord would show me sin in my life that I was not seeing, and that He would grow me spiritually so that I may be used fully in the mission field abroad and at home. Throughout the year the Lord has shown me sin here and there that I was not dealing with; however a month ago is when my eyes were opened to sin that I had not seen as sin. The Lord chose to get my attention in a way that was painful, embarrassing, and extremely hard to deal with. I tried so hard to look to everyone else in the situation and point out their sin, but the Lord kept showing me more of mine. Although, my flesh wishes more than anything that the Lord would have chosen a different way to get my attention, I am so thankful that He finally did. I am not the same person I was. While talking to my mom, she told me that she and my dad had been praying (years!) for the Lord to get my attention in this particular area. What a blessing my parents are. I say all that to say that though this semester has been a painful one, it is one that I am thankful for. I am excited to see how the Lord uses me in Honduras, and pray that He would continue to refine me and make me more like Him, no matter how painful it may be. I love the quote by J.I. Packer, and though there is still many sin struggles in my life, I am thankful for God's grace and sanctification.


Sanctification says the Westminster Shorter Catechism (Q.35), is "the work of God's free grace, whereby we are renewed in the whole man after the image of God, and are enabled more and more to die unto sin, and live unto righteousness." The concept is not of sin being totally eradicated (that is to claim too much) or merely counteracted (that is to say too little), but of a divinely wrought character change freeing us from sinful habits and forming in us Christlike affections, dispositions, and virtues.
- J.I. Packer, Concise Theology




*for all of you grammar folks, sorry*

5 comments:

  1. I love that song...Can't wait to read all about your summer! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to follow you!! So proud that you made one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love that song! Thanks for blogging. Can't wait to stalk you while in Honduras!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be following you while you're in Honduras! :) Have a wonderful time and I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete