Friday, June 10, 2011

first week teaching english.

On Monday morning we headed to Buckner's Community Transformation Center. When we got there the director showed us around a little and then informed us we would be teaching English for 2 1/2 hours during June. We then walked down the road to a local school, where we were greeted by about 40 children, their mothers, and around 30 volunteers. After a brief introduction, we were invited onstage. For anyone who knows me in the past, crowds, stages and microphones have not been my friends. At first I thought we were just going to stand there smile while she introduced us, but no after her introduction she handed the microphone to Mary Elizabeth. That is when my heart sank and started beating fast at the same time, throat was immediately dry and I completely forgot how to tell my name in Spanish. Thankfully our translator Luis was beside me and told me how to say "My name is Sarah Haynes." One by one Mary Elizabeth, Caitlin and Kimberly introduced themselves and finally it is my turn. With my voice shaking I manage to get out, "Mi nombre es Sarah Haynes." Everything would have been fine except after saying my name I awkwardly let out a yay and started nervously laughing. I am praying that there are no more stages or microphones in my future while I'm here in Honduras. :)


I am teaching English with Mary Elizabeth to a class of about 25 people ages 14 to 28 with a couple of older students. When I was first told that we would be teaching English I wasn't too nervous. I mean English is my first language, how hard could it be? Well...it can be pretty difficult when you don't know and can't pronounce the Spanish words which are necessary in order to teach the English words. :/ I am so thankful that Mary Elizabeth is teaching with me. She is pretty much a pro at Spanish and has really done most of the teaching. I cannot tell you how many times I have butchered the words while teaching, but thankfully our students are so sweet and show me a ton of grace and have begun to even help me with my Spanish. :) Please pray that I would be able to overcome being nervous and feeling inadequate when it comes to teaching English. I know the Lord has me teaching English for a reason.


In our English class this week we taught them the lyrics to "Joyfully" by Kari Jobe. I have probably listen to this song hundreds of times, but while teaching the lyrics one part of the song really stuck out to me.


I will sing from the mountain top
I will sing, I am overcome,
I will sing making melodies
I will sing from the valley low
I will sing because of Your love I will sing
You're my King, I will sing


As I was listening to our students sing this part of the song, I thought about how so many times my joy depends on my circumstances. It is very easy to sing praises when I am on the mountain top and things are going the way I want them to, but is it as easy to sing those same praises from the valley? Isn't God the same God on the mountain and in the valley? Most of the students in our class live in less than ideal situations. On the drive to the CTC center you see the unbelievable poverty, yet they are able to sing from the valley low because their hope and joy is found in Christ not their circumstances. It is my prayer that I to would find all of my hope and joy in Christ and not in my circumstnaces. It has been so encouraging getting to know these wonderful people, and I am so excited for three more weeks of English class!


We have also been working in an orphanage Casistas Kennedy in the afternoons, but to prevent this post from becoming a novel I will post about that later. I will say though that these children have stolen my heart already. Mom and Dad if you are reading this there are about 150 kiddos that I would love to have as siblings. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment